Senegal will hold presidential elections on 24 February. As of 9 January, seven candidates had been approved by the Constitutional Council. Here are their micro-bios, with their party affiliations in parentheses:
- Macky Sall, the President (BBY)
- Khalifa Sall, former Mayor of Dakar (Taxawu Senegaal)
- Karim Wade, former Minister of State for International Cooperation, Regional Development, Air Transport, and Infrastructure and son of ex-President Abdoulaye Wade (PDS)
- Ousmane Sonko, parliamentary deputy (Pastef)
- El Hadj Issa Sall, parliamentary deputy (PUR)
- Madicke Niang, former Minister of Foreign Affairs (dissident PDS)
- Idrissa Seck, former Prime Minister (Rewmi)
Twenty-seven candidacies were initially presented. Among those rejected, the one getting the most attention is Malick Gakou (Grand Parti), who the Council said was 546 signatures short on his dossier.
The definitive list of candidates is supposed to come out on January 20.